City - Mogollon, NM - JP Holland general store 1940
Photograph - Colorized Photo
Colorized photo from 1940, June Original title: Main street of Mogollon, New Mexico. Second largest gold section in the state Photographer: Russell Lee Location: 860 Bursum Rd, Mogollon, NM
During the gold rush, back in the 1880's, this town of Mogollon was the second largest gold mine around. It went strong till around the 1940's, but as the price of gold dropped, the excitement dropped, and by the mid 1940's, this town was abandoned. The caves are full of quartz and the dust choked anyone that worked in there, it just wasn't worth mining there any more.
This is what the town looked like just before everyone left. They had lots of bars, a few gas stations, and a couple of general stores. Today, the building on the left, the general store, is now a hotel. The bars are gone, but the stone building on right is still physically there. They also dug a big trench right in front of the buildings for drainage. Everything is connected by little bridges on a narrow road.
August 28th, 2022
Viewed 266 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 10/01/2022 at 6:13 AM