Colorized photo from 1911, May 3
Original Title: Packard fire squad
Location: E. Larned at St. Antoine, Detroit, Mi
Cars were relatively a new thing a 100 years ago. Firemen used to use horses and wagons, and would race off as fast as a team of horses could go. Presumably, a guy would have to stand and make that siren sound as they traveled.
This station had a horseless carriage, the truck was a Packard, Model 30. It had a cruising speed of 20mph, used 6 cylinders, and held 10 people. Originally this company was called the Packard fire squad, sounding plain and boring, later on they were known as the Flying Squadron.
This truck carried the people, clothes, and very basic gear to the fire.
November 13th, 2016
Viewed 13,444 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 10/04/2023 at 4:04 PM