Colorized photo from 1895 Original title: Interior view of the 1217-1221 Chestnut Street Branch Photographer: Unknown Location: 1217-1221 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA
The Free Library of Philadelphia, originally opened in 1894 in three cramped rooms in City Hall. Later on, they move out and moved to this location, which used to be an old Concert Hall. However, as attractive as the room was the building wasn't really suitable as a library. It was unsafe and unsanitary, described as make-shifted. But they stayed here till 1910 as they designed their new location.
On December 1, 1910, they moved to the Northeast corner of 13th and Locust streets. Then finally, they moved into their final building at Logan Square. There were some delays in the construction due to that pesky WW1.
February 11th, 2023
Viewed 1,123 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 12/07/2023 at 4:48 PM