Hand colorized 1890 Original title: Hall's Pharmacy, Fourth and Chestnut Sts., Mifflinburg, Pa. Photographer: Unknown Location: Fourth and Chestnut St, Mifflinburg, PA
During the late 1800's and early 1900's, soda fountains were popular in American pharmacies. Pharmacists would dispense soda water from a soda fountain, which were often located in the front window or the back of the store.
The first soda fountains were introduced in the 1950's, and became popular due to the medicinal properties of soda water. Pharmacists believed that the carbonated water had therapeutic benefits. They added flavored syrups to the water to make it more palatable.
By the 1890's, they had a much wider variety of flavors, added things like ice cream, egg creams. Then later on cake, pie, and lunch. Eventually each of these broke free and they had separate soda fountains, without medicine, ice cream without soda, lunch without either two, and medicine without any kind of food.
March 14th, 2023
Viewed 1,712 Times - Last Visitor from Ann Arbor, MI on 02/21/2024 at 11:08 PM