Chicago, Illinois - This is the Chicago harbor light, built in 1893 for the Worlds Colombian Exposition, then later moved to its present location in 1919.
It's a fully automatic lighthouse and it protects the harbor. In its day it was considered an engineering marvel. It's a 111 feet tall, made of cast iron. The Fresnel lens inside, has red and white alternating colors, and it won first place at a Paris glass show.
December 21st, 2015
Viewed 6,059 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 10/04/2023 at 1:57 PM