Colorized photo from 1901 Mar
Original Title: Illinois Central Depot
Location: Grant Park, Roosevelt Rd & Michigan Ave
This is the Illinois central depot, opened in 1893 to meet the demands of the World's Columbian Exposition. Its built in a Romanesque Revival style, it was 9 stories tall, 13 stories for the clock tower. In it's day, it had the largest train shed in the world, measuring 140 by 610 feet. It was used as an intercity passenger terminal in downtown Chicago. They also served other companies track usage rights.
This building was located at Roosevelt Rd & Michigan ave, its at the back of Grant park. The are is currently grass and metal sculptures. The water on the left, used to be very close to this building. They filled it in, to expand the park. If your still not properly oriented, on the right is the Rosenburg fountain, a drinking fountain of its day, it probably never moved.
They tore this lovely structure down in 1974, so it did last quite a while. This block is also gone, its all one big park now, its not known when they tore the other houses down.
August 5th, 2018
Viewed 9,698 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 02/22/2024 at 2:27 AM