City - Chicago, IL - The Chicago Railway Station 1911
Photograph - Colorized Photo
Hand Colorized photo from 1911 Oct 10 Original Title: Passenger Terminal C & NW Ry. Photographer: Detroit Publishing Location: 500 West Madison Street and Canal St, Chicago, IL
This was the Chicago & North Western railway, that just opened up the year this photo was taken. It was designed by architects Frost and Granger, in an Italian Renaissance Revival-style in limestone, and was once an architectural icon in the heart of the city.
The Chicago and North Western Station started with the Galena and Chicago Union, which made the Wells Street Station in 1848. Later, they merged with the Chicago and North Western Railway and kept working at Wells Street. Sadly, the first station burned down in the Great Fire of 1871. They made a quick, temporary wooden station before building a new fancy one that lasted from 1881 to 1911.
This grand station was comprised of 16 elevated tracks, all above street level, with six approaching tracks guiding passengers in the 894 foot long enclosed terminal. The upper building catered to inter-city passengers, they had an array of amenities such as dressing rooms, baths and medical facilities. They had an 84 ft tall barrel vaulted ceiling, adorned with intricate plaster work and elegant chandeliers.
The building was torn down in 1984 and the present Northwestern building replaced it
May 7th, 2023
Viewed 377 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 06/01/2023 at 8:56 PM